Enjoying Educational Psychology Module #1

Module #1
I am enjoying reading my book and find it interesting. In chapter one it talks about how the book will help us understand the complex processes of development, learning, motivation, teaching, and assessment so we are able to become confident teachers (Woolfolk). Teacher and student relationships are important because research shows that if you are positive and encouraging to your students while they are younger their attitudes will continue to remain positive throughout school. This reminds me of the growth mindset and the fixed mindset because with the growth mindset you have positive thinking and will continue to grow. The fixed mindset you don’t challenge yourself to beyond your comfort zone and continue not to grow just remain negative. If teachers start their classes out positively the outcome and motivation will continue with them because they are training their brain early on. I did not realize that the Obama Administration made changes for the tests to assess growth not achievement (Woolfolk). This goes back to growth mindset and learning to grow not just focus on achievement. It is good to set goals for yourself and strive to do your best but we don’t want students to be so focused on getting “A” s just to be able to continue to grow which takes the pressure of them and they can just try to improve and not be as focused on achievement.

The goal of Educational psychology is all about improving teaching and how we can help our students with the learning process. Every student is different and every student learns at different paces and in their own way. Every student processes things differently as well.  It is our job as teachers to help each student do their best and succeed. We as teachers need to be passionate, sensitive, understanding to our students and what they need.

My personal experience is that in grade school I struggled with learning with some subjects and that put me into more of a fixed mindset. Throughout my school year I have learned to try to stay more positive and have more confidence. I am always working on myself and growing.

Chapters two and three discusses Brain and cognitive development. I found it interesting that children by ages 2 &3 has around 15,000 synapses at that age then they will as adults. The neurons used will survive, and the unused will need to be “pruned.” The pruning is necessary and supports cognitive development (Woolfolk). I also found the emotions and learning part interesting because it talks about the connection in the classroom that stress/anxiety effects learning.

My personal experience on what I read with chapters two and three about how stress effects learning I can relate to this because I can experience anxiety and it gets in the way of my learning sometimes. Chapter three explains Physical and motor development on young children, elementary, adolescent years. Recess and exercise is very healthy for students because it helps their mental process and helps them behave more (Woolfolk). Thought it was so sad to read about how children can develop eating disorders because they are influenced by society. I liked chapter one but found chapters two and three kept my interest more with all the many overwhelming topic that were covered. Reading this book is very in depth to what helps a child to develop before then even get to school. As teachers we need to help our students in any way we can with whatever they need.






Comments

  1. Amy,
    I'm enjoying reading this as well. I am glad this is one book we get to keep because I feel it will be helpful as a classroom tool. And I completely agree with you with the anxiety and stress it does affect not just your learning but it affects your health and many other aspects of your life. If that does that's a us as adults imagine how students feel especially those with challenges or in special education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I agree this book is very interesting and I enjoy reading it. I also see how this could relate to growth mind set. I think its pretty ironic that Julie finished off our class with the blog about growth mind set, which I feel was a perfect introduction to this course. Also I am happy that you were able to grow out of your fixed mindset. :)

      Delete
  2. Amy,
    I think it's great and inspiring you stay positive in times you have struggled with school. A positive attitude means everything! I think we as humans are always a work in progress and there is always room for growth! well said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goals and Motivation Equals Life.

Why I decided to go into the Field of Education