Teacher student relationships and understanding culture and diversity Module #2

Module # 2 Blog

Chapter Four- was interesting talking about the intelligences and Howard Gardner’s intelligence chart that he believes intelligence is measured on a biological base. An intelligence is a “biopsychological potential to process information in certain ways to solve problems or create products that are valued in at least one culture or community” (Gardner, 2009, p.5). There are many different levels of measuring one’s intelligence. I will have to say I have heard of IDEA and was not aware that students with special needs get to have a free public education. I found it interesting on that many factors are involved with learning challenges and that intense teaching can lead to changes in brain functioning (Woolfolk). I think it is so important to catch learning disabilities at an early age. When I was in school that didn’t have any programs to help students that had a learning disability. I’m not sure if it was because I went to a catholic school or more children today have them.
Chapter Five- was talking about bilingual language and the benefits of knowing more than one language. Although I don’t have any experience in the schools I would have to do my best to understand my students because I am not bilingual. I find it fascinating for people that can learn multiple languages. I know my mother-in law knew polish, English, Russian, French and I believe a little German. My father in-law knows English and Spanish. I give people credit I tried to learn French in high school only made it through one year it was very challenging.

Chapter Six- was mainly talking about culture and diversity, economic and social class differences. I didn’t know that students with low SES lose their academic ground over the summer and the students with higher SES continue to advance.

Chapter Seven- Mostly talked about positive and negative reinforcements. That negative reinforcement is not to be confused with punishment. This gives many examples of the different ways to discipline student in the classrooms to help change unwanted behavior and to reward the good behavior. I like what the book said about shaping that we should reinforce progress rather than wanting perfection (Woolfolk p.265). I agree with this that changing the mindset at an early age that it is ok to lose more beneficial to the child in the long run.

To comment on the second video in the resources White teacher in diverse classroom, I understand to a point what the guys is saying that white people and black people are raised in two different cultures. He used an example on if a black student is in a classroom and the teacher points her finger at the student then the student would look at is a confrontation. I understand about different cultures but doesn’t the student understand why they are in school? They are not in a hostile environment to feel threatened. You are in school to learn and so to start school not knowing respect for what the teacher asks of you stems from the upbringing. To me no matter what race a good parental upbringing and teaching needs to instilled in each child early on. This is just my opinion.

In a nutshell as teachers and as people we have a lot to learn and we can learn a lot from each other. I think that hands on experience will be the real learning for us as future teachers. I know we must learn about culture as much as we can to understand the students better. I know that when I have my classroom it is important to make sure to have a good teacher/student relationship so that the climate is warm in my classroom and my students know I am there for them. I would start my class with asking how everyone was to help them feel comfortable and know that I am there for them.




Comments

  1. Learning a new language is no joke! I'm bilingual, but I was raised with two languages at an early age. I attempted to learn Spanish in high school, but that didn't work out too well.

    Also to counter your point on the student being pointed at, there are many students who don't even want to be at school and go because they are forced. Whether or not it stems from their upbringing or not can be debated by each specific case. Remember the old saying? "It takes a village to raise a child." That saying still applies today. A kid can have a good home life, but if they are in a terrible area with low income, high violence and little to no access to necessities that we take for granted, it can push them towards undesirable actions, regardless of their upbringing. In the end, excusing their behavior isn't the answer but it is better to understand the why, so that we can do something to change the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that respect begins in the home and how education is presented to a child through their parents is important as well. If the parent had a bad experience with education it can sometimes be pushed onto the child so before they even get a chance, they have a bad idea of school. I hope in my schooling I can reach this child and children who are different than me in the same way I reach all my students. I want to gain a much better understanding of the different cultures and backgrounds to make an impact on every student individually in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I agree on your comment of being hands on; I believe a student/teacher relationship is so very important. I think it can make a huge impact on goals achieved throughout the year with our students. Understanding diversity and cultures of our students and parents can definitely help us achieve classroom management, and relationships.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goals and Motivation Equals Life.

Why I decided to go into the Field of Education

Enjoying Educational Psychology Module #1